Monday, November 1, 2010
Muffins are so Monday. If you can get yourself out of bed, and get these into the oven, you are going to have a good week. Guaranteed.
You have breakfast (all together, at the table, with heaps of butter for the muffins and a coffee for the grown ups). You pack lunches (healthy ones, with lots of colour and texture). You drop the kids at kindy. You get into work. You smile at all your co-workers - because out of all of you, who else made muffins this morning? No one. That's right - just you. Be proud.
Spelt Carrot Cake Muffins
Makes 10-12 muffins (depending on how overly-generous you are early in the filling of muffin cups)
10 min prep + 15 min baking
Adapted from Deceptively Delicious
1/4 c rapadura sugar
1/4 c olive oil
juice of 1/2 an orange
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 carrots, peeled and shredded
1/4 c chopped dried apricots
1/4 c chopped prunes
2 c wholemeal spelt flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
+ one lovely thrifted dish, to hold your muffins
*Try to use organic ingredients when you can, and unsulphured dried apricots.
**You can substitute brown sugar for the rapadura if you don't have any ... but try to get ahold of some. You can also substitute regular wholemeal flour for the spelt, but I encourage you to try the spelt - it makes the muffins so incredibly soft and yummy!
1. Preheat the oven to 180C (350 F). Line a muffin tin with paper cups.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, oil, egg, orange juice, vanilla, carrots and chopped dried fruit.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and stir to combine. Careful not to overmix - that'll make for flat muffins. Gently stir until the batter is all mixed together, wet and dry.
4. Divide into muffin cups. Put into preheated oven and bake for 12-15 min, or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
5. Remove from the oven, remove from the muffin tray and cool on a rack for a few minutes before eating!
I used all organic ingredients, and my muffins came to about $0.60 each (for 12).
Dish of the Day
Oh, and $0.50 for the gorgeous enamel dish you see the muffins sitting in. I love enamel. Want to see some more thrifty finds? I play along here.
Have a great week - muffined or not!