Thursday, January 31, 2013
Whew, I had to do that, it's been a big couple of weeks - in so many ways. Last Thursday I had my annual checking-breasts-for-cancer MRI (results not in yet), which still - even 5 years down the track - freaks me out. It likely always will, but in a way, the reminder of cancer is good. Cancer itself is bad, of course, but the reminder to make the most of my life is good.
Nelle started school and I started my new fellowship (I'm apparently still a scientist, regardless of what I say), and we did mad dashes around the house to save things from the extraordinary rain. I've been reading and writing lots of poetry, and just sent off 6 of my favourites to a poetry contest. My first one! We booked tickets for a trip to Phuket and Sri Lanka. We had lunch with friends and brunch with friends and my friend Michelle dropped by with a heavy bagful of mangoes from her very own tree. I love this time of post-travel catching up, and settling in.
And now? It's almost the weekend, and I'm going to slide into the corner of our apple-green couch with a book and a pot of tea and a super-blowy fan, and keep on exhaling.
I'll remember to inhale, too. Don't worry.
PS. Over the weekend I'll start putting together a post about Nelle's first week of lunchboxes, including brand new school-friendly recipes (and photos) - but until then, I had a look through the archives for some Lunchbox Food Group ideas.
Of course, you can make these for yourself as well ...
CRUNCHY | CRISPY
- grated carrot salad (omit the almonds for nut-free schools)
- rainbow veggies and hummus
- apple and celery salad (omit the cashews for nut-free schools)
SOFT | BREADY
- whatever you've got muffins
- blueberry quinoa loaf (muffins)
- spelt carrot cake muffins
- sweet potato muffins (substitute coconut flour for nut meal in nut-free schools)
- zucchini cake (muffins)
- corn bread
- sweet potato scones
- baking powder biscuits
Sandwiches and wraps
- chocolate bread sandwich
- ricotta bread sandwich
- kamut chapati and cheese wraps
- no-knead bread and butter
- naan pizza
- pita pizzas
- avocado sushi rolls, with or without nori
- potato puffs
- veggie frittata
- puff pastry pizzas
Cookies (some of which are actually chewy)
- choc chip cookies
- choc chip chickpea cookies
- buckwheat and butter cookies
- chunky chocolate nut cookies (substitute dried fruit or seeds for nuts in nut-free schools)
- oat and sunflower cookies
- mini meringues
- lemon biscotti
- homemade yogurt (add a tsp of jam!)